Appliance Repair Safety – Essential Precautions to Take


Appliance Repair Safety - Essential Precautions to Take

Many people take their household appliances for granted, but they can be a severe safety hazard when misused. Taking the time to perform routine appliance maintenance helps keep them running efficiently.

One mistake during an appliance repair can damage the appliance and cause personal injury. Read on to learn about some essential appliance repair safety tips.

Wear Safety Glasses

Safety glasses are a must-have piece of equipment for anyone who works with electricity. They help prevent injury from flying sparks, loose wires, or other objects that can cause eye damage.

Investing in a pair of safety glasses labeled as impact-resistant and ANSI Z87.1 certified is a good idea. Look for frames and lenses made of polycarbonate or a specialized material called Trivex.

Some safety glasses come with side shields that are permanently attached to the frame and cannot be removed by the wearer. Others feature clips that can be attached for extra protection. Look for a pair that provides the level of coverage you need and will be comfortable to wear for long periods.

Keep Your Eyes Covered

When working with appliances, it is essential to keep your eyes covered. This protects your eyes from debris that could fly off the appliance and land in your face or eyes. It also protects your eyes from electrical shock, which can be very dangerous.

If you do not have a pair of protective glasses, consider getting some before you begin your next appliance repair. Make sure to wear them throughout the entire service process.

Finally, it is always a good idea to unplug any small appliance that you are not using. This reduces energy consumption and lowers your electricity bills. It can also help to prevent fires from faulty cords. Check the condition of all cords and power sockets regularly. 

Unplug the Appliance

Appliances are essential to modern life but also a source of potential danger. If an appliance trips the circuit breaker, gives you an electric shock, or is burning up, it’s best to unplug the unit and call a professional for repair or replacement.

Only conduct live voltage checks on appliances if you are a trained technician. Instead, use an electrical multimeter to conduct resistance checks through wiring (with the appliance unplugged).

Ensure the power is off before you start working on a device, and never touch a live wire. Also, always follow the wiring diagrams in your owner’s manual to ensure all wires are reinstalled correctly. The myth that you should unplug appliances to save energy isn’t true; the real threat of a fire is when an appliance overheats.

Disconnect the Power

Home appliances are connected to electrical, gas, and water lines. Ensuring these connections are entirely disconnected is essential when working on an appliance.

Unplugging an appliance or shutting off the house circuit breaker for the appliance is the best way to disconnect the power. This will help you avoid electrocuting yourself while performing a refrigerator repair.

Many small appliances, such as printers, game consoles, and phone chargers, still consume electricity when plugged in, even when turned off. Unplugging these appliances will save energy and money. Removing plugs from devices with capacitors, such as microwaves and TVs, is also a good idea. After unplugging, these devices retain a lethal charge for a period (varying by device).

Don’t Touch the Appliance

Every year, thousands of people are electrocuted or injured due to electrical hazards in their homes. These can be caused by faulty appliances, tripping circuit breakers, fuses blowing, or even accidental contact with metal objects like rulers or pencils. Following the appliance manual’s use and care instructions is essential to avoid these hazards.

Always unplug an appliance after you finish using it. Ensure the plug is not in the water or touching a wet surface. Keeping a first-aid kit and a fire extinguisher in your home in an emergency is also a good idea. If you notice a burning smell, tripping circuit breaker, or lights flickering, immediately turn off the power to the affected appliance or consumer electronics through the appropriate switch.

Leave a Comment